7. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product? Mise en scene and camera work:
When looking back at the preliminary work that I did, I can see that I have made a lot of improvement in the way I can produce a product and also the outcome and result of my product is a lot better. In terms of camera shots and the mise en scene in my photos the quality is at an equalling high standard however I feel the choice of photos that I changed ended in being a much better selection of images for my media magazine. I also took some more pictures for my magazine of males rather just sticking to females and I felt this improved my magazine also. What this showed is that I have made an improvement with matching the style of my artists and my genre of my magazine and then also my target audience. This would help me gain more interest from my target audience. An example would be that on the front cover of my preliminary work the mise en scene of my model looks quite basic as my model is just wearing a sports top. This would therefore only connect with one audience whereas if he was wearing a more basic piece of clothing that didn’t address anyone, the audience range would have been better potentially. On the other hand the front cover of my final magazine/product ‘CONFIDE’ has a model that is styled in a plain grey and black dress with big hair and pristine makeup. This would reach the whole of my audience within the magazine as it is simple yet effective and relates to the style of my target audience and this would then help gain more customers for my product. This change of styling outlines the improvements that I have made when taking the images for my magazine in the factor of the mise en scene.
On top of this, my camera skills have also made an improvement since producing my preliminary work to producing my final magazine and this is due to the development I have made from analysing my first images, noticing a fault and then changing my technique. What I found in my preliminary images was that there was quite a bit of shadow behind my model due to the artificial light and this meant that I have to edit it out in Photoshop using the lasso tool. To improve this, for my final images, I moved the artificial lighting to different places and angles so that the shadowing was at its minimum. Another part of my camera work, would be the directing. I have learnt new directing skills while taking my photographs for example; in my preliminary cover tasks I give my model a very basic pose and it doesn’t look very natural too my model. On top of this, I gave little input as I had lack of knowledge of different styles of poses. For my final product images I was able to direct my models much more easily as I had completed research into different photo-shoot’s and poses. For this I simply found images off the search engine Google and analysed them in note form. This meant that when it came to directing my models, I was much more comfortable as I had more knowledge of what to do. For my final shoot, I directed my main model to look directly down the camera and made sure that her hair was the correct shape. This added effect to the image as it looked a lot more glamorous and would be eye catching for my audience. Overall this outlines more improvements which I have personally made while producing my final product since my preliminary product.